Tag: 229000

Dear Welder Series… thru frame tie rod end mount on the rear?

Dear Welder Series…
I have a question concerning your thru frame hair pin mounts. Have you ever seen them used on rear radius rods with a single front mount?

Dear Steve…
Hi, Steve.  I haven’t seen them used in that type of rear suspension.  But I believe our through-frame mount would be stronger than any other tie rod end mount.  The amount of support for the tapered stud, from the large area of the tapered stud to the button head is 2”, so actually wider than for any tapered hole bracket.

I hope this answers your question, but please expand on it if I missed your point.

Thanks for looking at Welder Series parts.
Paul Horton

Low West tie rod end mount installation

Low West Hot Rods sent us some pictures of a neat installation of our tie rod end mount kit, and I thought I should share them!

Dear Welder Series… tie rod end bung?

Dear Welder Series…
Hi I was wondering does the threaded spacer you sell would that fit the part on an early ford tie rod end that would be facing the front of the car if someone bought your through frame radius rod kit?

Dear Aaron…
Aaron, we don’t have a threaded spacer with the 11/16-18 thread to match the early Ford tie rod end… but we could make them. They would be 1″ o.d. x 11/16-18 RH i.d. and about 4″ long. They’d sell for $6.00 each. The part I’m thinking of would be the frame end of a hairpin radius rod or the frame end of a split wishbone. Please let me know if this is the part you need.

[update: this part has been added to our catalog.]

Thanks for looking at Welder Series parts.

Dear Welder Series… Split Wishbone Question

Dear Welder Series…
Hi, I have a question fer ya.
I have a split bone suspension (’28 Model A) and am going to use each arm independently (as opposed to joined in the middle). I want to use rod ends to join them to each side of my frame (2×4 1/8th inch mild steel). What parts / sizes would you recommend?
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

PS; it’s going on a ’26 model T roadster Rat Rod with a “Zd” frame

Dear Roger…
Roger, if you are using spherical rod ends (“Heims”), and want to run the bolt through the frame rail, you could weld a #212321 spacer into each of the rails to keep the walls from collapsing.  Use a 5/8″ rod end.

If the rod end will mount below the frame rail (or above it), you could look at using 2 Versatabs each side:

trimmed to put the rod end where you want it, and use spacer #10767 between the plates.

The Versatabs will have to be drilled out to 5/8″.

If you will use an early Ford tie rod end, you could use our hairpin mount kit, #229000

And, if you want to mount a tie rod end below (or above) the frame, we have 3/8″ thick tabs which you can taper:

Thanks for looking at Welder Series parts.

Dear Welder Series… Thru-Frame Tie Rod End Mount question

Dear Welder Series…
Hi I was wondering if your through frame radius rod end kit fits on to 27″ hairpins or is it able to be adapted with some threaded tube and some cutting and welding?


Dear Aaron…
Aaron, our thru’-frame kit is made to work with early Ford (generally 1940 – 48) tie rod ends. These tie rod ends have a male thread 11/16-18. If your radius rods can accept this tie rod end, I feel our kit will work. (Tie rod ends are not included in the kit.)

Thanks for looking at Welder Series parts.