Installing a Vintage Air Compac in our 1932 Ford project.
More Air Conditioning
A/C hoses rank right up there with brake lines on my “things I don’t like looking at” list. What else is on the list, you might ask? Mold, pouty faces, and melting snow are all fighting their way to the top. Anyways, I tried pretty hard to come up with a way of dressing down the hoses. The first way was using Vintage Air’s EZ Clip hose and fittings for the sheer girth reduction. The second was to try to make the zinc plated fittings look a little less shiny. Follow along!
You need a special set of pliers to snap the rings in place. A really nice feature is that you can get an amazing crimp without taking the hoses out of your garage. Get them clocked in the right direction and snap the rings on. That’s all it takes.
On the ’32, I’ve used shrink wrap to cover the hose as well as the fittings. This makes it consistently matte, and looks somewhat like a snake which just swallowed an air conditioning fitting. [I have since removed the heat shrink from the lines… I decided I liked the industrial look of the clamps.]
I installed the drier in the trunk to save space under the dash. It was a little extra #6 hose, but not enough to notice a performance drop especially since the cabin is so small. The trinary safety switch is mounted right to the drier. To mount the drier, I just cut a tube to the distance between the tabs on the mounting bracket and welded two 1/4-20 threaded bungs to that tube. After drilling and countersinking holes to match, that’s all it took. The bolt heads will be hidden by the access panel.
This hose is so nice to work with! It makes running lines under the dash super easy because it will bend in such a tight radius.
Some Miscellaneous Stuff
Here are a few random shots of what I’ve been up to lately. They don’t each require a separate posting, so I’ll just throw them all in here.
Here you can see my heater lines. I decided not to run #10 heater hose just because of the size of the car. A #10 hose has a 1/2″ i.d., so by running 3/8″ hard line, I’m not losing all that much flow. I’m using the head as one connection, and the water pump for the other. The hose clamp on the hose going to the water pump will be replaced and eventually will look like the one just below it. Remember to flare the end of the hard line so it’s tight in the hose. I’m also trying to figure out where to run the spark plug wires.
I made up two 3/8″ double clamps to hold the e-brake cables to the floor and keep them out of the way of the driveshaft.
Here you can see the Specialty Power Windows wiper motor that’s mounted to the steering column mounting plate.
I couldn’t exactly hide the A/C drain behind the upholstery (because what you see is the “upholstery”), so I had to come up with another way. I decided to use the leftover trunk weatherstrip I had. It’s hollow, flexible, and has an adhesive back. It’s not stuck to the firewall yet, but when I’m ready I can just peel off a few small sections of backing and hold it in place. It drains out a hole under the toe board area.
And here’s where we are, pretty much up to date. [wow, look how shiny it was!]