We will be using a Vintage Air Gen II Compac system. It’s 9″ tall, 7-3/4″ deep, and 20-1/2″ long. It’s got servo motors to give us a TRUE bi-level function, too. Vintage Air has these neat mock-up units which are exact shells of the functioning unit, with all mounting points in the same spots, and all the ducts and stuff in the exact locations. They make it much easier to install because you don’t have to keep hoisting the actual unit into position each time you check fitment. Also, there is no risk of dropping it!
Knife Inserts. I think that’s what they’re called. They have aggressive knife-ish threads on the OD, and machine threads inside. You drill the appropriate sized hole, then use an Allen key to screw them in. You can get them at your local hardware store. I got these at Home Depot. If someone knows the actual name of them, please email me. Even if you just like the fact that I call them knife inserts, please email me. I’m also married.
There’s the little guy, screwed into the firewall. No bolts showing on the outside! That’s the Specialty Power Windows wiper motor, mounted to the steering column support plate.
If you ever decide to put the ducts right in front of the evaporator like I did, this might be necessary. There isn’t enough room to come straight down from the top of the evaporator and then go 90 degrees into the duct, so I trimmed it so the hose had an easier route. I’m nice. I cut it so that there are still two tabs at the bottom for connecting the hose.
Because I cut off one of the hose tabs, I had to make another one. I got out the propane torch, threw a bit of heat to the back side of the duct, and with a screwdriver pried it up so it formed a tab worthy of holding the hose in place.